This area of Tuscany was known to have existed in pre-historic times and was officially established in 890 A.D. on the slopes of Mt. Amiata, which was sacred to the Etruscans. The Piazza Garibaldi features the main fountain of the city. There are several churches worth seeing, including The Church of the Opera, St. Lucy, St. Biagio, St. Nicholas and Piccina.
The city is divided into four contrade (quarters) which take part in a palio (horse race) held on the 8th of September every year. The palio was raced for the first time in 1402. The Palio of Contrade of Castel del Piano comes from the centuries-old tradition of venerating the Blessed Virgin of the Graces with solemn rites and horse racing.
Castel del Piano is a favorite of Tuscan Muse guests, photographers, artists, cooks and writers who participate in our tours of Tuscany, photography workshops, painting workshops, culinary workshops and writing workshops in Tuscany.