Orbetello is a town and comune in the province of Grosseto (Tuscany), Italy. It is located on a lagoon, which is home to an important Natural Reserve. In the Middle Ages it was a possession of the Aldobrandeschi family, who held it until the 14th century, when it was acquired by the city of Orvieto. After several struggles with the Orsini of Pitigliano and Orvieto, in the following centuries Orbetello was captured by the Sienese Republic. In the mid-16th century it was part of the Spanish puppet State of Presides, becoming its capital. Later it was under the possesion of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and, from the late 19th century, the newly unified Kingdom of Italy.
The city walls (5th century BC).
Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, built over an Etruscan-Roman temple and restructured in 1375 along Tuscan-Gothic lines. Preceded by a step, it houses some notable 15th century frescoes.
The Spanish Forte delle Saline, in the frazione of Albinia.
Remains of the Roman city of Cosa in the frazione of Ansedonia.
Ruins of the Monastery of Sant'Angelo.
This beautiful seaside town is a favorite of Tuscan Muse guests, photographers, artists, cooks and writers who participate in our tours of Tuscany, photography workshops, painting workshops, culinary workshops and writing workshops in Tuscany.